• Information on this archive. See IIDB.org
  • Please join us on IIDB (iidb.org)
    This is the archived Seculare Cafe forum. It is read only. If you would like to respond or otherwise revive a post or topic, please join us on the active forum: IIDB.

Competition for medical-insurance companies?

For serious discussion of politics, political news, policy, political theory and economics and events happening round the world
lpetrich

Competition for medical-insurance companies?

Post by lpetrich » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:39 am

Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway And JPMorgan Chase Launch New Health Care Company : The Two-Way : NPR
Health care costs are "a hungry tapeworm on the American economy," Berkshire Hathaway Chairman and CEO Warren Buffett says, and now his firm is teaming up with Amazon and JPMorgan Chase to create a new company with the goal of providing high-quality health care for their U.S. employees at a lower cost.

The new company will be "free from profit-making incentives and constraints" as it tries to find ways to cut costs and boost satisfaction with the health care plan for employees of Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway and JPMorgan Chase. The trio unveiled their new venture in a news release.
All well and good, and I think that the medical-insurance companies deserve it, but it does not address the problems that have resulted from tying health-care coverage to employment.

praxis

Post by praxis » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:41 pm

I doubt costs will ever be addressed in any real sense as long as insurance is part of the equation.

dancer_rnb

Post by dancer_rnb » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:11 pm

Does nothing for me. Since I got laid off I've been paying my own insurance.

Any bets about whether they will get tax subsidies for it?
There is no such thing as "politically correct." It's code for liberalism. The whole idea of "political correctness" was a brief academic flash-in-the-pan in the early 1990's, but has been a good conservative bugaboo ever since.